Pages

Saturday, July 16, 2011

By 'eck. It's a scorcher!

If this was England, and we were perusing the red top headlines, The Sun would be trying to distract us from the hacking scandal with a "Ohh What a scorcher!" type headline. Because, it is, indeed scorching hot. As in 35c of hot. Aren't you sweating just thinking about it?

I knew it was going to be hot, and I knew trying to run in that is like sending heat stroke a written invitation to drop by any time. so I made the dubious decision to head out for my morning run around 7ish. I say dubious, because that's not much before I go to work on an average day, and I know it's crazy hot then because I have to stand in front of the fan in a most attractive manner when I get to work. So, what was I thinking? Anyway, I headed out, planning to do about 10k in just over an hour (I'm slow, but I figure now is not the time to be trying to be fast, I just need to be able to get through the distance). In the end, I threw in the towel, or should that be running shoe?, after 6km. It was insanely hot and that extra 4k was going to be a killer.

I came home and watched Ugly Betty instead. Yeah, I know it finished ages ago, but I still love it and the Mark/Amanda combo always gets a laugh from me. I'm not sure if laughing exactly counts as marathon training, but I'm also not sure that I care.

The rest of the day was spent meeting friends, popping into shops, a J-Pop dance class (I basically go to feel better about the fact that I can't dance, because neither can anyone else in the room, it's awesome) and having a read of the book I got from the library (The Hole We're In by Gabrielle Zevin. It was OK, quite interesting). It really feels like summer is here, even if my work schedule doesn't know it yet.

Tomorrow is a trip to the shopping centre with one, or maybe two, of the women from work. My workplace divides it's social activities much like I suspect they did in the 50s. The boys go drinking and the girls go shopping. It's a stereotype, but one that works for me. I like a drink as much as the next person, but I will always choose shopping over the Gaijin bar dives my male colleagues seem to enjoy drinking at. Seriously, what's wrong with a few chairs and a table I don't have to wipe before I put anything on it, assuming there is a table?

And, hurrah! Monday is Ocean day (海の日)so no work. I don't think I'll hit the beach, I'll leave that to the rest of Ehime. I'm hoping roomie will stick to our vague mention of going to the river to go swimming, but it was so vague, I really can't be sure. If not, it'll be the pool at the gym. Which really isn't the same thing, is it?

I have a few more weeks before I go back home for the summer, and I can't wait! I must be the only person in the world hanging out for an English summer...

3 comments:

  1. Did I just comment or my comment get lost? Anyway I said that I wanted to j-pop dance class :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we had an Ocean Day... I wouldn't even say no to a Lake Day, or even a Hot Bath Day. Seriously, Japan needs to think up some better holiday reasons.

    Also - I always laugh when I hear 35degC being called hot. Ok... 45 is starting to be a real scorcher... but then again, until recently I hadn't experienced a Tokyo summer. Now I understand. It all depends on the humidity!

    Good luck with the laugh training btw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up with your full energy in this matter. I really admire you for this training. I related with one of your former post where we all have so many plans but end up not doing anything. Knowing that you have supress that feeling and gutted yourself to train hard for that marathon...man is ispiring! Keep it up :D

    BTW...even if you don´t finish that marathon, juts by being in it you will be able to gloat a lot!...but I understand what it means to finish and not to do so in the capacity of gloating...ANYWHOOO keep it up

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!