Pages

Thursday, August 26, 2010

The new job

On Monday morning, while I was minding my own business, watching TV and trying to decide if I had already seen that particular episode of Without a Trace (I'm still not sure, I'm now watching so many episodes in a week, they all kinda melt into one, which I find somewhat confusing, and yet strangely intriguing), the phone rang.

"Ring ring," it said, as I am one of those old fashioned types that wants my phone to ring rather than playing some weird tune.

"Hello," I said, even though I live in Japan and should probably have progressed to "moshi moshi" by now.

"Hi Sarah", said the lovely lady on the other end of the line. She was calling from my new workplace. "We'd really like it if you could come in on Wednesday to observe some lessons. Is that OK?" she asked.

"Sure," I said, " No problem."

In my mind, however, I was thinking "Oh Crikey," (Or words to that effect) "What am I going to wear?!" I am a girl, hence my shamelessly female reaction.

Cue mild panic, a hunt in the bottom of the wardrobe, and a sprint down to the local dry cleaners to introduce myself and hand in every work appropriate article of clothing I own. This was my first trip to the local dry cleaners as I used to work in a department store and got things cleaned there; although not very often because I am firstly, a cheapskate, and secondly, really disorganised about basic household tasks.

I've decided to change my slovenly ways and go to the cleaners more often. The lady there was lovely. She made me a point card and didn't make me write out my address. My writing skills in Japanese are woefully inadequate and I always feel embarrassed to have to write anything in front of people because it takes me so long. But this lovely lady just asked me to tell her my address while she typed it into her computer. She's my new favourite shop clerk. She also gained extra brownie points when she didn't laugh at me for waiting patiently in front of the window, thinking it was an automatic door. (I did something similar at the convenience store a few days ago, and let's just say that shop clerk isn't even in my top ten favourites after his reaction.

Once the cleaners had efficiently and cheaply cleaned my clothes, I made that all important selection (first impressions count, people) and was all set for my first day. Well, actually, my first evening, if you want to be pedantic, as I start work at teatime.

After an evening spent observing various lessons, I felt pretty good about this new position. I think I'm going to like it there.

And, as a happy bonus, I now have a range of lovely clean clothes to choose from.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!